What Is Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign Teen provides a popular alternative to traditional braces for straightening teenagers’ teeth.
Designed specifically for teens, these plastic aligners are a big hit with kids because they’re virtually invisible. They’re also removable and allow your youngster to get on with enjoying their teen years without the problems associated with conventional fixed metal braces.
Invisalign Teen avoids issues such as:
- Having messy impressions taken.
- Restricted diet.
- Problems with oral hygiene.
- Prolonged discomfort.
Benefits of Invisalign Teen
Invisalign Teen1 holds many advantages over regular braces. The system uses 3D digital imaging – a non-invasive approach compared with taking traditional impressions, which can be upsetting for youngsters with a pronounced gagging reaction.
Computer imaging is also more comfortable than conventional 2D X-rays – computer-aided design (CAD) allows an uncluttered environment that helps to avoid feelings of claustrophobia.
Old-style braces typically come with a long list of hard foods to be avoided in order to protect the wires and brackets from damage. With Invisalign Teen, your youngster can continue to eat what they want by simply popping out their aligner for meals and snacks.
The removability of Invisalign Teen aligners also brings:
- Health benefits. Wearing fixed braces makes oral hygiene tricky but with Invisalign your teen can brush and floss as normal, ensuring continued protection against tooth decay and gum problems.
- Convenience. Invisalign Teen appliances can be removed for special occasions, sports and playing certain musical instruments.
Studies have shown that self-conscious feelings in adolescents peak when they feel they’re being assessed by other people. These negative emotions can be reinforced when wearing conspicuous metal braces. The subtlety of Invisalign Teen aligners resolves this issue.
Invisalign appliances have smooth edges, so they’re more comfortable than regular braces, and each appliance is custom-trimmed for a snug fit along the gum line. Your teen’s teeth may feel mildly sensitive for a few days after they get a new set of aligners – an indication that the Invisalign system is working and their teeth are being repositioned.
How Does Invisalign Teen Work?
Invisalign Teen works along the same lines as Invisalign for adults. The plastic aligners – resembling a thin mouthguard – fit over the upper and lower teeth, and gently move them into their correct position.
Invisalign Teen appliances are custom-made for your youngster’s teeth, taking into consideration the development of teenage jaws. This ensures an outcome that matches their facial profile.
Invisalign provides greater control in repositioning teens’ teeth than traditional braces, with a series of carefully-regulated movements.
Your youngster will wear a series of aligners, each for 22 hours a day for one to two weeks. Each aligner in the series moves teeth slightly, applying the right pressure at the right time. Only some teeth are shifted at the same time, which provides greater precision than standard braces.
Each series of aligners is customized to your teen’s orthodontic needs and their mouth, with the help of state-of-the-art digital imaging. This technology also lets your youngster see how their straightened teeth and enhanced smile will look when the whole process is completed – motivation to persevere with their treatment.
Invisalign has a proprietary SmartTrack system for more predictable movement of teeth, with results that are easy to see at each phase of the process.
Invisalign Teen also features a compliance indicator to confirm the appliances are being worn for the recommended time. A blue dot becomes clearer the longer your teen wears their aligner.
The Invisalign Teen system comes with spare sets of aligners – handy if your youngster is prone to misplacing things.
The makers of Invisalign Teen – U.S.-based global medical appliance company Align Technology – say the system can straighten teeth up to twice as fast as regular braces.
For adults, the entire Invisalign process typically takes about 12 months. With teens, the length of treatment depends on how well your youngster follows their Invisalign dentist’s instructions. Conventional braces typically have to be worn for 24 months.
What Problems Can Invisalign Teen Fix?
Invisalign Teen can fix a wide range of orthodontic problems – from simple to complex – to give your youngster an awesome smile and help to keep their teeth strong and healthy. These issues include:
- Crowded teeth – when lack of room in the mouth causes teeth to bunch up and overlap. Crowded teeth can make it difficult to brush and floss effectively, and the problem can get worse with time.
- Gapped teeth – extra space between any two teeth, often the front upper teeth. Gapped teeth can create pockets where food can get trapped.
- Overbite – when the upper teeth overlap the lower teeth more than usual. An excessive overbite – or deep bite – can wear down teeth and hurt the jaw.
- Underbite – the upper front teeth lie behind the lower teeth when they close their mouth, often as a result of the lower jaw being too far forward. An underbite can make chewing and speaking clearly difficult.
- Crossbite – one side of the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth when the mouth is closed. A crossbite can wear down teeth or chip them.
- Open bite – when the upper and lower teeth don't come together when the mouth is closed. An open bite can make it hard to chew or bite into hard foods.
Want to Find Out More About Invisalign Teen?
Invisalign Teen aligners are popular with youngsters because they’re barely noticeable – if at all– as their orthodontic treatment steers them toward the winning smile that’s so important to adolescents.
Because their aligners are precisely customized, your youngster will need fewer visits to the orthodontist, compared with old-style braces that require regular adjustments. Invisalign Teen appliances require no modifications or running repairs to wires and brackets – just new trays.
Keeping Invisalign Teen aligners clean is easy. Your youngster can just take them out, brush them with toothpaste, and rinse with tepid water.
While your youngster will think Invisalign appliances are cool, as a parent you’ll get the peace of mind of knowing that your youngster’s teeth and jaw development are being guided in the right direction by a powerful combination of cutting-edge technology and orthodontic expertise – to lay the foundation for strong oral health into their adulthood.
An orthodontic practice certified as an Invisalign Teen Provider2 can schedule a free consultation for you and your teen to help you decide whether this is the best type of orthodontic treatment for them.